Sunday, May 30, 2010

Peanut Free Snack #2

Have you been waiting on pins and needles for Snack #2?

Yeah, I didn't think so. But here it is anyways!

A little back story:
Around these parts, we're venturing into the land of tree nuts. B had a negative RAST and skin test to all tree nuts, so one-by-one we've been introducing them to her (with her doctor's approval). I can't tell you how stressful this is (for all of us I'm sure). We give her a nut and then sit and stare at her for 20 minutes to see if she has a reaction. Big Fun in the PFMama's house!

So far we've tested Almonds, Pecans, Hazelnuts, Pistachios, and Pine Nuts with success. It's a total nightmare trying to find 'safe' nuts (meaning that haven't been cross contaminated with peanuts), but I've done it.

That being said, B's been eating almonds for a while now. She's a skinny little thing so any added good fats are in rotation.

I've even let her have packaged snacks that contain almonds (as long as they don't have a peanut warning of any kind). Now I know many folks out there will say "But how do you know that there isn't cross contamination at the source?". Well the short answer (and I guess the long answer too) is: we don't. Is there logic there? Not really, but there you have it.

OK, enough yapping, here's the snack I found.

I've been looking for a peanut free granola bar that isn't chewy. I hate those ones that seem like rice krispie treats with the stretchy little strings that extend when you take a bite. Blech!

You know the ones I want? I want the Nature Valley texture kind! The hard, crunchy ones! Love those, but no way is B getting 'em. They're full of peanuts! Or so I thought.

So being the go-getter that I am I've kept at it, reading every dang label over and over and over (are you getting it yet) again.

And then I found these: Kashi Roasted Almond Crunch Crunchy Almond Granola Bars. Here's a link to the nutrition panel.

And I know there are those of you out there that are avoiding ALL nuts and for this I'm sorry. I've totally been there and I hope I haven't bummed you out by blogging about these. Seriously.

But if that ever changes, know that these are GREAT. They taste awesome and I keep one in my purse at all times for a snack for ME.

I can't tell you all how happy I am that I can pack these in B's backpack at summer camp or in her lunch in the fall. It's like the holy grail of peanut free snacks.

All my continuing detective work pays off - well at least sometimes.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Another peanut free snack you might want to try is offered by Snikiddy (www.snikiddy.com) AllergySense is running a promotion right now with Snikiddy, let us know on Facebook your favorite 4th of July recipe and you could win one of two Snikiddy gift boxes (great way to try the product!)

Our contest info can be found here - http://www.allergysense.com/blog/2010/07/08/snikiddy-giveaway/