Saturday, May 29, 2010

Peanut Free Snack #1

I found a couple of peanut free snacks I wanted to share with you. I can't give it all up in one post, so I'll give you one today and one tomorrow.

Here's the first.

I was at the grocery store today, buying my weekly load of stuff as well as some extra treats for the memorial day holiday. I was wandering in the snack aisle, picking up some, uh, healthy treats. And I spied these. I love me some Chex Mix!

Who was I kidding? These have never been safe. What the heck was I thinking picking these bad boys up?

But I did. And, as usual, I read the label, expecting disappointment.

But something's changed. On the corporate site, you'll see this label:

The warning says "Contains Wheat, Milk, Soy, Sesame, Almond, and Peanut Ingredients".

But on my bag today, the warning says:
"Contains Wheat, Milk, and Soy Ingredients."

No PEANUTS! No Almonds! No Sesame!

I know it's easy to make this homemade, but I always end up with WAY too much. And I KNOW that there are all sorts of things added to the bagged stuff that makes it not so great for your kids (or yourself for that matter). But being able to pick up a bag of this to take to a football game or picnic is a real time-saver and someday I'm going to use it to my advantage.

But isn't it saying something that it doesn't have peanut flour anymore? Are things changing?

I'm going to take it as a good sign.

Now make sure you read the bag's label in your store, just in case. Don't want you picking up an old batch.

And it just goes to show that reading your labels constantly pays off. If it isn't protecting you against accidental exposure, it'll show you new products that have become safe for you!

Let the snacking begin!

- Gab

p.s. And next time? Stay tuned for something most peanut free parents long for to put in their allergic kids lunchboxes and backpacks...

1 comment:

WendyandGabe said...

Great news! It is wonderful to have some easy snacks like this for upcoming summer travel.