Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Girl Scout Camp

Short post....

I'm volunteering as a unit leader at Girl Scout Day Camp this summer.

Yes, I (think) I know what I'm getting myself into.

B is going to be a camper (although not in my unit). It should be fun (seriously, it will be - I can't wait to do all those campy activities).

Tonight I had a training meeting with my co-leaders. We went over menus for the 2 weeks. It's 3 meals that we cook (the rest of the days campers bring their own).

Do I have to tell you what's on the menus?

Yup. Peanut Butter. Ants on a log! PBJ's!

Yikes! It's camp for cryin out loud! What happened to hot dogs and hobo packs???

Not sure what I'm going to do.

What do YOU think I should do?

p.s. as i'm writing this, I'm watching Modern Family. How much do I love that show?

THHHHHIIIIIISSSSSSS MMMMMMUUUUUUCCCCCHHHH!

4 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh for crying out loud! You'd think that they could come up with something else. I worked boy scout camp last year and J came a long in the "little camper program". There was a nurse on site and they kept his epi at the nurses station (in a cooler with no ice - still kind of freaked me out). In the second cooler with ice was a stash of PBJ in case a camper forgot their lunch. I get it. It's easy, it's cheap. But it's scary for those with peanut allergies.
I would mention the peanut allergies and all the pbj. Maybe they could change out SOMETHING. Ants on a log perhaps?? B might not be the only one with a peanut allergy so it may benefit other kids too.

Anonymous said...

cant they substitute with the sunbutter?????

WendyandGabe said...

What a pain! You could bring along separate soynut butter, or a separate cooler with lunchables to make it easy on yourself. I'm guessing that you'll need an alternative for S'mores too. Let us know what you do.

P.S. LOVE Modern Family. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

You should have them substitute Barney Butter, it looks and tastes just like PB but is a peanut free almond butter. I'll bet the kids won't even know the difference!!