Monday, November 23, 2009

One Day's Wages: Can You Spare It?

I came across this recently launched site via my twitter feed today (the founders have a daughter with allergies): One Day's Wages. I am so intrigued by the concept of donating just one day's wages per year to contribute to help ending extreme global poverty.

I know I've already posted about helping out families in need over Thanksgiving. We help on a local level a lot. But not on a global level. This is an interesting approach on how to do just that.

Even if you don't contribute to One Day's Wages, I encourage you to use their calculator to see what just one day's salary equals. I was shocked when I saw a day's wage for Mark and I. Totally doable to donate.

I know, I know - we're in a recession - you can't afford a day's salary! But I know that I could give up a bottle of white wine here and there to feed someone else on the planet. Or give them immunizations. Or give them clean water. Or stop them from being exploited.

I don't mean to preach, really. But as I'm writing this (on my laptop) I'm in my house, that's warm, with a full belly, and a healthy child asleep in her room, I kind of feel like passing some of this on to another human being. That's all.

Ok, back to peanut allergy tomorrow.

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I like that idea!! We do this: http://www.compassion.com/
It's easy and I don't miss the money at all.