Monday, June 11, 2012

Peanut Allergy: Would You Eat This?


I was going through the blogs in my feed reader and stumbled upon this:  Jif is now making Hazelnut Spreads.


I know what you're thinking - ugh, peanutty!

But not so fast there, tigers!

Being the chocolate lover concerned Peanut Free Mama that I am, I decided to investigate.  Things might not be so bad. Here's the label from the Chocolate Flavor:

I found this REALLY interesting.  Mainly because under the allergy information, peanuts aren't listed as a 'may contain' item.  Frankly, I was shocked.  And I know what you are going to say:  You're not going to eat that are you?! What about cross contamination with all those tree nuts and sunflower and wheat and soy???  

Well, yeah, there's that.  I didn't say it was allergen free.  

BUT IT IS PEANUT FREE - AND IT'S FROM A COMPANY THAT MAKES PEANUT BUTTER!!!  Is this progress or what??

Oops, sorry for shouting - I was just a little excited about a PB company having dedicated lines for non-pb products (I am assuming this - I haven't called them so I don't know for sure - but I can hope, otherwise why wouldn't they list peanuts in the may contain statement?).

We don't avoid 'may contain' warnings when it comes to tree nuts (and our allergist supports this) so technically, B could eat it.

But would I buy it for B instead of Nutella which I am more comfortable with her eating?  Probably not, but maybe I'd buy the mocha cappucino flavor for me.  There's no way B would eat that :)

I'll keep you posted.

p.s. have any of you seen this on the shelves?  tasted it?  do tell!!




No comments: