Thursday, January 12, 2012

Whole9 and The Peanut Manifesto


So it's the start of the new year and I'm not alone in re-examining my diet.  I lost about 20 pounds last year due to the separation, exercising more (hello Stand Up Paddling - I love you!!!), and stopping drinking (no, I'm not in recovery, not that there's anything wrong with that).

But I have another 10-15 pounds to go to get back to where I REALLY feel good.  So I've been looking at all sorts of programs.  I want something that is easy, not too limiting.  And something where you just snap your fingers and you're skinny!  Ha!  Just making sure you were still reading.

Anyhow, I found the Whole9 site.  It's basically Paleo way of eating, but they have a Whole30 program where you give up all sorts of foods (grains, sugar, alcohol, legumes, dairy, potatoes) for 30 days and you see some great results.

So what does this have to do with peanut allergy, you ask?

They don't allow peanuts (it IS a legume after all) on their plan. 

Here's an excerpt from their Peanut Manifesto:
"Lectins from grains (especially wheat) and legumes (including peanuts and soybeans) are most commonly associated with aggravation of inflammatory and digestive diseases in the body...Recent research has suggested that these lectins may effectively serve as a “Trojan horse” allowing foreign proteins to invade our natural gut defenses....Lectins can cause damage well beyond the gut – commonly in joints, brain, and skin of affected individuals. Continued exposure of the gut by these toxins leads to a persistent stimulation of the body’s defense mechanism in a dysfunctional manner, i.e. autoimmune disease. (Allergies fall into that category as well.)"
This kind of blew my mind.  What do you think??

I'm not sure if I will try the Whole30 plan (could I give up rice, pasta, and dairy??).  But their stance on peanuts may just convince me.

p.s. now that I think of this, the Whole30 program is what a lot of our allergic kids are already practicing.  Gluten free, soy free, milk free, peanut free.  Maybe we're trendsetters!

No comments: