Thursday, April 14, 2011

oh poor bloggie...

I've been pretty absent around these parts, and for that, I'm sorry.  I have lots to tell you.  Instead of a long winded post, I will give you bullet points:

  • I'm not eating meat any more.  It's working out great!  It's been an excellent excuse to eat more protein in the form of crunchy Barney Butter.
  • B's skin test came back worse than last year. Worse, in fact, than almost any other year.  Bigger and wider and even more itchier than ever.  My heart broke into a million pieces in the allergist's office.  Even though he is still optimistic about her outgrowing her allergy, I am resigning myself to the fact that she's probably not.  
  • I devoured Sloane's new book over the course of an evening.  I didn't want it to end.  This is a book that belongs in every girls' hope chest.  It gave me an incredible amount of hope for my daughter and her journey through life with her allergy. Look for a review here soon (I promise, Sloane!)
  • I'm going to the FAAN Conference in June in Anaheim.  Will you be there?
  • I created a Facebook page for Peanut Free Mama - come and like me wontcha'?
I promise that I will have more content soon. I've wanted to hide under the covers when it comes to peanut allergy and all that comes along with it since B's last allergist visit. 

But now I'm ready to come out.

I hope you'll still have me.

8 comments:

Tara said...

So sorry to hear about the skin test. Ava's gets bigger and widhoer every year too. It makes my heart ache as well. At least we live in a world that gets a little more peanut allergy friendly every day... and we have amazing role models for our girls like Sloane!

michelle said...

i totally understand the hiding under the covers. :(
and so sorry she hasn't outgrown it yet.
i feel your pain.
i live your pain.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I can relate to the wanting to hide under the covers. Unfortunately, yes I can. HUGS to both you and B on that one.
Good for you on not eating meat!! I've been changing up things too. But mine sort of goes in a more opposite direction ;)

Anonymous said...

I completely understand. We had the same experience at my daughters allergist appointment a few weeks ago. And on top of that my son is now carrying an epi for his peanut allergy. I was in a funk for awhile after that visit.

Liz said...

I always read your blog and feel that I can relate to you really well. You and your family show me that life with a peanut allergic child doesn't have to be horrible. Thanks!

You've been awarded!
http://attemptingtobeasupermom.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-very-first-blogging-award.html

Libby said...

Nice to see you back, sorry about the test. My son's allergist does an annual blood test instead of skin prick. I don't know if it's a better option, but at least it doesn't make my son flare up.

Susan Weissman said...

Two things -

1 - Did the nurse put some topical Benadryl on right after for immed. relief? THat's what they do for my son when his skin tests flaur.

2- Husband gave up meat 6 months ago (I didn't eat it anyway) and it's been interesting -not as hard as you would imagine given we work around 6 major allergens for my son. I think I am so used to thinking in terms of what we CAN eat at any given meal, not what we Can't. It's a mindset.

Susan Weissman said...

Two things -

1 - Did the nurse put some topical Benadryl on right after for immed. relief? THat's what they do for my son when his skin tests flaur.

2- Husband gave up meat 6 months ago (I didn't eat it anyway) and it's been interesting -not as hard as you would imagine given we work around 6 major allergens for my son. I think I am so used to thinking in terms of what we CAN eat at any given meal, not what we Can't. It's a mindset.