Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Peanut Allergy Recipe Redux: Sweet and Spicy Sunflower Seeds


Last week I posted about some tasty sweet and spicy pumpkin seeds I made from the guts of our jack o' lantern. They were so tasty, I got to thinking about what other peanut safe snack I could make using the same technique.

And like a lightbulb, it came to me: Sweet and Spicy Sunflower Seeds!

But first I needed to have SAFE, peanut free shelled sunflower seeds, which are a total bear to find usually in the store. And I didn't want to mailorder. What to do??

But then again - a lightbulb! GoRaw Foods! Remember them? They are the ones that make the raw bars that I like (and can't afford to often). They are a gluten/wheat free and nut free facility (well, except for coconut) and they have both sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (pepitos)! I knew where GoRaw was stocked so off I went. And there, on the shelf at Whole Foods, was a large bag of these. They also had the pepitos in stock, but they were $15 a bag, so I wanted to test this recipe out on the cheaper stuff (it's a $5 difference per bag, but still).

So for the recipe, I used a cup of shelled sunflower seeds. Here's the revised recipe. You'll need:

1 cup shelled sunflower seeds
4.5 T sugar (separated into 2.5 T and 2 T)
1/2 T Lawry's Seasoned Salt (I know, it's not the ideal spice because of the MSG and 'natural seasonings' in it, but here's a copycat recipe you can make instead if you prefer. )
1.5 T canola oil

In a medium bowl combine 2.5 tablespoons sugar and seasoned salt and set aside.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add sunflower seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook until sugar melts and seeds begin to caramelize, stirring constantly, about 45 to 60 seconds. Be really careful to watch these - they brown really fast!

Transfer to bowl with spice and sugar, and stir well to coat. Let cool. These may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.


The verdict: So tasty - sugary and spicy (but not too spicy). I fear I will gobble these up fast - they'd be great on a salad. Pepitos here I come!

No comments: