Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Parents: June 2008

When Bella was born I somehow started receiving free subscriptions to both Parents and Parenting magazines. I usually toss (err, recycle) them when I get them, but a cover article in the June issue caught my eye:

Oh Nuts!
Food Allergy News You Need
Forbidden Foods, by Jan Sheehan
p. 146

So I took a look, expecting a dumb article about peanut butter alternatives (like almond butter - d'oh!). But you now what? It's actually really good and gives a good overview of food allergies, research, etc.

Unfortunately the folks at Parents Magazine haven't linked to the article online, but I encourage you to pick up a copy (or read through YOUR recycled one) and take a look.

I'll try to scan the pages today and/or find a link to the article (somehow).

2 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Thanks for mentioning that. I get this mag too and I usually don't read it or I read it months later when I have nothing better to do. It's not a bad magazine, it's just that the boys are past most of the stuff in there and the food articles/recipes usually aren't food allergy friendly. I'll have to dig that one up.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the tip--I'll check this one out.

Parenting magazine also had a good article on food allergies recently. I'm glad to see the "big" parenting mags cover this topic after waiting for them to address it for so many years.

I'm a writer and I got tired of waiting to see stories on food allergies so I wrote one myself. My story on food allergies and play dates recently appeared in Chicago Parent magazine. My blog nut-freemom.blogspot.com has a link to this story if anyone is interested.