Tuesday, March 25, 2008

OK So I thought of something...

I'd like to put together an FAQ of sorts for new parents to allergic kids.

But I'd like your help. This would be a resource that parents of newly diagnosed kids could reference to help them navigate the first few days, weeks, and months of handling a peanut allergy (or any food allergy for that matter). This will ideally be a 'quick guide' of sorts.

I'm thinking under 10 pages.

But here's where you come in. In the comments section, let me know what your biggest question/concern/issue was when you starting making your child's world 'allergy safe'. Note that I didn't say allergy free - can anyone really protect their child from the allergen at all times? I don't think I can.

So back to your feedback. What did you NEED to know, but didn't have time to read in one of the other great, albeit thick, books out there?

Was it:
  • How to tell your family?
  • Preparing meals?
  • Eating Out?
  • Educating your caregiver/schools/teachers?
  • Traveling?
  • Learning about what foods and products to avoid?
  • How to find websites or support groups that could help?
  • Learning about the different tests out there for allergies?
I think we all had the same questions, I just want to put them in one place (or try to at least) to make that new, scared parent feel a little more at ease in this crazy food allergy world.

I look forward to your comments. If you'd prefer to email me, send your suggestions on to peanutfreemamaATgmailDOTcom.

Thanks!

7 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I had 2 questions that really stressed me out: 1. What was I going to feed a child allergic to wheat, rye, barley, egg, milk, peanut and tree nut and 2. How will I know if I need to use the EPI pen?

Anonymous said...

How to handle sending my school-aged child to a birthday party alone. Should I be the only parent there besides the host parents to keep him safe? Should I ask them to be responsible for administering his Epi-Pen, should he get into trouble? Are they truly comfortable with this, and can they handle the crisis if needed? Etc.

Sheila

tanal said...

Can't wait to see this since I am still new to my son's peanut allergy and trying to learn how to live a normal but safe life. Keep updating on progress of this!!!

Tanya

tanal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pez said...

My biggest challenge was trusting others to care about my son's allergy as much as I do and trusting that they would be able to recognize and treat an allergic reaction. As a result, I often did not sign my son up for activities where I was not present which was a hardship for both of us.

This also created issues with the school. I wish I had the knowledge to push for a 504plan when he initially started school so it was not as big of an issue when we needed it in 3rd grade.

Elyse said...

You asked if you can ever protect your child from all of the allergies. I believe you can't. I am a 19 year old who on a daily basis fears that I will have a reaction to something.

I am very allergic to soy, gluten, wheat, nuts, tree nuts, fish, and shell fish. The enviroment around me also makes me react.

So to answer your question, a parent can not protect their child from everything. But having the proper tools to allow a child to live is also essential. Yes I am limited to what I can eat and do, but there are so many resources out there.

Nicole said...

My biggest fear/concern was educating our extended family. I needed them to know how serious this allergy was, but I didn't want to scare them (or my DD). The Food Allergy Answer Book really came in handy for this, I bought my parents a copy and one for my in-laws as well.