Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Year!

Hi Guys!!!!  How are you all? 
Me & D

I honestly can't believe it's 2012.  Where did the time go??

Frankly, 2011 was the worst year of my life and the BEST.  The separation was the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's gotten so much easier.  B is really settling in to her routine (which wasn't without major bumps and anxiety attacks - both for her and for me).  I'm seeing someone new and I couldn't be happier.

See?




But as many of you in the food allergy community know, we started the year with a tragedy.

Little Ammaria Johnson, a first grader in Virginia, died as a result of a fellow student giving her a peanut (that she ate) on the playground.  She went into anaphylactic shock and passed away.

The school didn't have an epi pen on site (apparently they refused to keep one even though Ammaria's mom asked them to).   

I still can't think about this without starting to cry.  Bottom line:  this was preventable!!

B is 7.  She has epi pens all over the school - in the office, in the class, etc. 

But you know what?  This could still happen to her. 

I'm trying to figure out how to tell B about this without scaring her too much.  She's usually really good about not eating anything I don't approve (or pack for her), but what if a friend she really trusts offers her something? 

We've got some work to do.

If you'd like to help Ammaria's family (they were having trouble giving her a proper funeral), you can find more information on how to donate here.

Hug your kids, FA mamas.  And hugs to YOU for advocating to the ends of the earth to keep your babies (and my baby) safe.  Tragedies like this can be prevented!!!

No comments: