So I promised you an accidental exposure story - woo hoo!
I was chatting with the mom of B's pal, C. She was telling me about a super scary incident at a local pizza place. It was one of those places where there's a place to eat and then a place to play video and arcade games (not like Chuck-e-Cheese - much smaller).
Anyhoo, there were tons of kids in the place this night and her two kids were there. Her daughter C asked for a couple of quarters to get some candy out of the machines. So she gets a few different kinds and has them in her hands. Another little girl that she doesn't know comes up and asks for some of the candy. And of course - C GIVES IT TO HER.
You see where this is going, right?
The little girl is peanut allergic. And she reacts. Badly.
The little girl's mom is trying to assess what happened, and is asking little C what exactly she gave her daughter. And C, poor little sweet C who wouldn't hurt a fly, is shell shocked. She can't remember (can you blame her?) and thinks she's killed this girl.
Fortunately the mom had epinephrine and was able to halt the reaction.
My heart hurt for the little girl, and C, but especially the mom of the little girl. She probably thought "We've eaten, we're home free, she's safe to run around and play". And boy, was she wrong.
And this scenario could have happened to any of us.
The moral of the story: Hammer into your kid's brain that they are NEVER to take food from anyone unless you approve it, ESPECIALLY from strangers!