Thursday, November 18, 2010

Peanut Allergy: Pre-Thanksgiving Meal and Some Thankful Links

Image Courtesy FoodNetwork.com
So last night I decided since I wasn't hosting Thanksgiving this year that I needed to have a turkey dinner in my kitchen anyways dangit!

I went to Whole Foods and got a Diestel Turkey Breast and roasted it up.  But not in any old way - I used this recipe from Rachael Ray and MAN was it tasty (and top 8 free since I used olive oil to baste the top of the bird before I put it in the oven).

Why a turkey breast you may ask?  Well, my oven died (at least the inside cooking part, not the top burners thank goodness) and I still haven't replaced it (gotta get that done before Christmas Eve since about 25 people will be here expecting dinner - can't serve 'em ramen!).  I've been using my handy, dandy convection toaster oven for the last 7 months and it's been great.  And it worked perfectly for a small turkey breast.

Throw in some stuffing, green beans, and cranberry sauce (oh and gravy of course!) and we had one heck of a meal!

--------

B has minimum days all this week, and I've been finding little 'thankful' things to do each afternoon.  Writing notes to special people, donating canned food/blankets to the local shelter, and today we are dropping off a few frozen turkeys/chickens to our local Second Harvest Food Bank.  There are so many sales at the grocery stores right now - for about $25 I should be able to get a few turkeys (or large chickens) to donate to those who can't swing buying their own bird this year.

----------

Have you started thinking about holiday shopping yet?  In addition to the usual presents, a few folks close to us will be getting donations made in their name to Heifer International, One Day's Wages or Kiva.

A LOT of our relatives absolutely HATE getting these donations made, and I don't know why.  But many of my relatives love it.  They have plenty of sweaters, and cooking gadgets, and most of all: blessings.  Us giving in their names is their favorite gift of all. 

What's your favorite charity?

---------

We have so much to be thankful for - but that's for another time and another post (next week).

No comments: