Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rahul K. Parikh, You Suck.

I wonder if this guy is friends with Ms. Broussard?

Why would a doctor even put this out there? Yes, there are folks who over blow their kids food allergies (hello, I know I've talked about the 'milk allergic' kid in Bella's school who still eats cupcakes, right?) but there ARE families with real, life threatening allergies. Instead of brushing them off, maybe he could have kept his mouth shut. His article implies that we should lighten up and not protect our kids.

Maybe he wanted parents to stop stressing out about allergies, that they probably wouldn't happen. If so, he went about it the wrong way. He mentions research at the end of this piece, and then tells his patients to ignore it and actually introduce allergens to kids at one year. What a doctor! I'm glad he's not practicing near me.

Maybe he just wrote this to get attention. He knew it would hit a nerve and he wanted attention. Lots of writers do it. I think Ms. Broussard did that too. That's my opinion at least.

I guess he got it. Can't wait to read the letters to the editor in next week's Chronicle.

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I'm not sure what this guy was trying to say. He's as clear as mud. It seems to me that he's saying that all the studies out there are inadequate and that no one knows for sure what they should do. That when it comes to intro'ing foods there's no clear data on what is really correct. I'm not sure he's down playing food allergies. I think he's down playing the studies and even blasting the one where they did a random phone poll (which in my opinion is completely inadequate too). The Minnesota study is a non issue for me because it was done so long ago. We have no recent statistics? And you can't even use anaphylaxis as a cause of death so why even bring that up?
For all of the money going into research for food allergies, I don't understand why we don't have better studies or research to draw from. My feeling was that this guy was kind of saying that too. That he doesn't know what to tell the parents of his patients because most of the studies and recommendations aren't clear. They seem to change with the wind. I sort of agree with him. My children are 2.5 years apart and I was given different guidelines for introducing solids for both (same pediatricians). I think the Dr. is afraid to make any recommendation because he's afraid he'll be wrong.

Now I could have misread that article. But that was my take.