Monday, August 20, 2007

Recipes: How do you do it?

Today I wanted to raise the issue of recipes. I am a recipe fiend (yes, I am one of those people who reads cookbooks for pleasure). And I try recipes out all the time. Many times I try to adapt the recipe to remove the offending peanuts (or peanut butter) and usually I'm pretty successful. For some, I just omit the nuts (like the Thai Beef Salad in the September Everyday Food). For others, I replace the oil and use canola instead of peanut oil. And for others, I get creative and use tahini instead of PB.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this. I'd love to hear some of your success stories! Have you made a pecan free pecan pie? Really? I'd love to know how! Leave them in the comments for me.

Would you all be interested in me listing the recipes I adapt here?

2 comments:

wenat said...

It would be great if you posted recipes. I'm always in search of new ideas for things I might be able to get my son to eat. Thanks!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I made peanut free peanut butter cookies and the boys loved them.
You can find the recipe here: http://zumfamily.blogspot.com/2007/04/some-new-recipes.html
I do it all the time with the wheat allergy, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I made tea cookies at christmas that called for nuts and instead I ground up some Enjoy Life chocolate chips in the food processor and added those. It worked out well. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)